Do I have 60 amp or 100 amp electrical service?

03/11/14 9:28 AM

electrical panel unfinished

Rob Swyrd from Robart Electrical Services Ltd visited our office and shared some really helpful information on a topic that is very relevant to today’s home owner. Insuring a house with 60/70 amp service is very hard, because (I’m told) only 1 company provides insurance for houses like this (excluding houses that have been grandfathered in), and it will likely cost you 3 times as much as a house with 100 amp service. Here are the basic things to look for to help you determine what type of service is in a given house (keep in mind that I am certainly not an electrician, and I’m giving you this info as a way to increase your knowledge and not as any kind of info to rely on without first contacting someone who is an industry professional):

The electrical panel (or box)
The Meter socket (that glass thing outside on the side of the house)
The weatherhead (that thing on your roof our exterior wall that connects to the power line)



The main electrical panel

Some houses have more than one panel, the main and a sub panel or pony panel. They often have stickers on them that indicate the rating of the panel. This is not necessarily the same as the electrical service you have coming into your property. For example, a box that is rated for 100 amp service may well be used in a house that only has 60 amp service. Think of it like your car. The speedometer shows that most cars can do in excess of 200 km/h, although you know darned well they don’t (or do you?)!
The first thing to look for on a panel is a main shut off switch. It will generally be at the top, separate from the rows of breakers that go to lights and plugs, etc. If there isn’t a main shut off, you better call an electrician. If it does have a breaker, look closely to see if the switch is labeled 100 or 60/70. It will be indented in the switch, so look closely. If it doesn’t say 100, call an electrician.


Panel with no main shutoff

Panel with no main shutoff

100 amp panel with shutoff

100 amp panel with shutoff


The meter socket

This is that glass globe-like thing outside that is used to measure how much power you use. Some have a spinning wheel, some are digital. If it is in a square or rectangular box, it’s probably 100 amp. If it’s just round with no box, it’s likely 60/70 amp, and you should call an electrician.

100 amp meter socket

100 amp meter socket

60 amp meter socket

60 amp meter socket



The Weather head

Old school weather heads usually connect under the soffit and eaves to the side of the house. Newer weather heads are generally above the roof, extending from a pole, or way up on the side of a 2-storey house (code is 12′ 4″ above the ground or surface you’re standing on below it). If it’s under your soffits or low on a flat wall, call an electrician.

Rooftop weatherhead

Rooftop weather head

How much will it cost?

Rob says an electrical upgrade shouldn’t be more than $2000-$3000, which includes a new panel, meter socket, weather head, and permits. Always pull your permits, people! If more work is to be done inside the house, of course the cost may go up, so just make sure you get a detailed quote for what should be done in order or priority. Rob also said that in houses with aluminum wiring, he can upgrade it for roughly $1500.


Advice for buyers and sellers

Sellers, your job is to make buyers want to buy your house. The fewer obstacles or red flags they encounter, the more likely is is that they will buy your place and not the one down the street. If you have two identical houses except one has current electrical and the other has out-dated electrical, which do you think they will buy? Even if you discount it, it’s one more thing they have to do before they can even insure the thing. Spend the money up front to get the work done, and you will have a more successful selling experience.

Buyers, I hope you don’t find yourself in this situation. However, it may well happen. If it does, you have a few options:

  1. Run away. I really don’t think you need to do this, but it’s an option.
  2. Ask seller to upgrade it before you move in. Make it a condition or even a term of the purchase agreement.
  3. Negotiate a discount so that you can do the work yourself once you take possession (this means you’ll still have to insure the house at a higher premium until the work is done).
  4. Negotiate a cash back rebate in the purchase agreement (the same would apply about the insurance as in #3).
  5. Get a purchase plus improvements mortgage, so you have access to money for renovations. Talk to your mortgage broker for the ins-and-outs on this one (you’d still have the same insurance challenge, though).

There you have it. Again, there’s no way this post will cover all scenarios, so keep that in mind, and find an electrician you trust. Most will be happy to give you advice or even a free written estimate that could help you out with a purchase or sale.

60 100 amp electrical flowchart

60 100 amp electrical flowchart

4 Responses to Do I have 60 amp or 100 amp electrical service?

  1. Rob Swyrd says:

    You did a nice simple job of this, I love the pictures. How would you like to do one on Robart Consulting Ltd. The reason it was created for realtors is because, how many times has a home inspector oped their mouths and said something about the electrical that scared your buyers. I can help save the sale with a consultation.

  2. Rob Swyrd says:

    Finally after 3 years the city of Edmonton, Epcor and I have come up with a simple and fool proof method of determining if you have a 60 or a 100 amp electrical service. If you check out an article that was created in June 2015 your will agree that’s been a long time coming.

  3. Pat Gordon says:

    I upgraded my house to 200 amp from 60 amp. I ran a buried 100 amp to the garage as there was only an extension cord. Can I use the old 60 amp panel box with the breakers in the garage or do I have to get a 100 amp box? I will only have a few lights and two garage door openers in the garage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Beard Blog Post

Crash Hotel in Ice District Opening – photo gallery

Crash Hotel Ice District Edmonton - 26

12/23/16 12:31 PM

To the owners and operator’s of Crash Hotel, I would like to say thank you for taking one of the sketchiest places in the city that I would never recommend to anyone I loved and executing your vision to┬ámake it a real destination venue that patrons can now be excited

Posted by Jerry Aulenbach in Beard Blog | No Comments »

Latest Beard Blog Post

Best Bar None Edmonton Food Tour

Food at Mercer Tavern Edmonton

12/12/16 1:11 PM

“What the heck is Best Bar None, anyway?” That was my question when Dave Young invited me to attend a walking tour of 4 BBN accredited downtown Edmonton bars. At first, it seemed odd to invite a straight-edge guy to a series of bars, although it didn’t take long for

Posted by Jerry Aulenbach in Beard Blog | 2 Comments »

Latest Beard Blog Post

YEG Rock Skip Competition 2016

YEG Rock Skip competition 2016

09/12/16 12:28 AM

    At the 5th annual Edmonton Rock Skip competition, we had 16 competitors and plenty of onlookers. After 6 intense rounds, Ian Buckley was crowned victor with an incredible 37 skips! He was followed closely by Aidan who threw 36 skips twice! See below for the full score sheet.

Posted by Jerry Aulenbach in Beard Blog | No Comments »